Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Things I'm trying to figure out

I read a few great books on vacation - some of these have really got me thinking. I read Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne. Then I read Same Kind of Different as Me. Both of these books have got me wondering if I'm really making the kind of difference in the world that I want to make. Then on Saturday night that week in Florida, we went to Discovery Church where the pastor spoke on compassion - more thought provoking stuff. It's a tough one to understand, as I feel like I've been following and doing what God wants me to do, but I think now he's asking for more - more of me - more willingness on my part to give up the comforts I love. I'm not sure where this will take me. I suggested to Doug that maybe we should sell our home we love and move into North Central - the least desirable neighborhood in Regina. I'm not sure how realistic that would be considering how much we're away from home - I think having a home that's lived in there might be important, but who knows? Anyhow, I continue to ponder and ask God to get through my thick head what changes he does want me to make. He's never let me down in this department yet, so I'll keep listening and figuring out where he's pointing me.

4 Comments:

At December 2, 2008 at 9:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smile as I read your post. Grant has the same thought as you. We grew up in North Central and he often thinks we should move back there and try to make a difference. I find the prospect scary to be honest, but it is certainly on our radar as well.

 
At December 3, 2008 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Brock said...

thanks for sharing these thoughts, glendyne. your comments on moving into north central reminded me of a book by greg paul called 'god in the alley' - have you heard of it? greg lives in toronto, i believe he was a pastor at a suburban church but eventually he moved his whole family (young kids and all) into one of toronto's worst neighbourhoods to pastor a church there. the book is pretty full of amazing and heartbreaking stories. i think you'd find it really intriguing given what you've shared here.

 
At December 5, 2008 at 2:23 AM , Blogger Shauna Archer said...

hi there, always good to have our attenae tuned into the needs of others and how we can best respond. i read claiborne's book this summer and bought and read the book brock mentioned because the assistant pastor was our speaker at camp. all good stuff to keep us mindful and willing to be stretched. and i would gladly join you in north central regina - in one of those great old homes that needs alot of renos!

 
At December 31, 2008 at 1:27 AM , Blogger Marilyn... said...

Your words bring question marks to my mind too... we do take so very much for granted. God may not be calling me to Regina... but He's causing me to feel "unsettled" too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home